Report Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation by calling 1-800-490-8505.

APS – Adult Protective Services provides adults with disabilities between the ages 18 of 59 with protection from abuse, neglect and exploitation. OAPSA – Older Adults Protective Services provides adults age 60 and older with protection from abuse, neglect, exploitation and abandonment.

Click the links below for additional information:

Report Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation

"Adult Protective Services." Department of Human Services. 29 March 2017

"OAPSA PowerPoint March 2017." Department of Human Services. 29 March 2017

Services Available by Location


General information about the Community HealthChoices waiver and resources are included for reference. Further visit each Managed-Care Organization to learn more about their services and supports.

Community HealthChoices Overview

Community HealthChoices Waiver Information

Communication to Participants

Community HealthChoices Publications

Complaints and Grievances

Checking Eligibility and Participant Identification Cards




This resources section contains quick access to common links and materials used to assist the public with applying for services by the State.

COMPASS Homepage

County Assistance Office Contact Information

Learn how to apply for the following benefits through COMPASS: Health Care Coverage (CHIP, Medical Assistance, Medicaid for Former Foster Care Youth, Mental Health/Substance Abuse, Health Insurance Marketplace), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps), Free or Reduced Price School Meals, Cash Assistance, Child Care Works, Long Term Living Services - Home and Community Based Services, Long Term Living Services - Nursing Home and Related Facilities, Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

Applying for Benefits through COMPASS

Information about the following benefits can be obtained through this link: "Health Insurance Marketplace, Medicare Program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Retirement, Social Security Disability Insurance, Social Security Survivors, Unemployment Compensation (UC), Veterans Affairs (VA), Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP), Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8), HUD Public Housing Program, Head Start, Child Support, Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), PA Pre-K Counts, Home and Community Based Services (HCBS), PACE, PACENET, PACE plus Medicare."

Apply for Additional Benefits through COMPASS


Take time to gain knowledge in options citizens have besides living in a nursing home. When eligible, the State will "waive" funding for a nursing home and spend the funds instead on assisting an individual to live in the community, these services are called Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS). Below are several options to receive services in the home and community, along with their eligibility requirements and services provided.

Attendant Care Waiver/ACT 150 Program

OBRA Waiver

Nursing Home Transition (NHT) Program

LIFE: Living Independence for the Elderly

Benefits Available through the Community HealthChoices Waiver

Information on the Community HealthChoices Waiver


Access this course, Applying for Waiver Services, to learn the Steps to Apply for Waiver Services, to view the timeline for enrollment listed by the Department of Human Services, and for access to the sites and contact information of the Independent Enrollment Broker.

Steps to Apply for Waiver Services

PA Independent Enrollment Broker

Website to Learn About and Enroll in Community HealthChoices (CHC)


"Through behavioral health Managed Care Organizations, recipients receive quality medical care and timely access to appropriate mental health and/or drug and alcohol services. This component is overseen by the Department of Human Services’ Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services." (Source: "About. DHS. "Mental health and drug and alcohol services provided via the HealthChoices program differ from the physical health component of the HealthChoices program. For mental health and drug and alcohol services, each county contracts with a Managed Care Organization (MCO). Once an individual is enrolled with the MCO, the individual continues to have choices as to who provides their services." Source: "Behavioral HealthChoices." DHS. (accessed 24 JANUARY 2018).

Steps to Apply for Waiver Services

Information on Behavioral Health Services

Where to Apply for Behavioral HealthChoices Services


"Through physical health Managed Care Organizations, recipients receive quality medical care and timely access to appropriate physical health services, whether the services are delivered on an inpatient or outpatient basis. The Office of Medical Assistance Programs, through the Department of Human Services, oversees the Physical Health component of the HealthChoices Program." Source: "About." DHS

Learn About and Apply for Physical HealthChoice

Where to Apply for Physical HealthChoices

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, LIHEAP

"The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, also known as LIHEAP, helps low-income families pay their heating bills. LIHEAP is a grant that offers assistance in the form of a cash grant, sent directly to the utility company, or a crisis grant for households in immediate danger of being without heat. (Source:

General Information on Qualifying and Applying for SNAP

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

"The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is the new name for the Food Stamp program. These benefits are used to buy food and help eligible low-income households in Pennsylvania obtain more nutritious diets by increasing their food purchasing power at grocery stores and supermarkets. If you are eligible, you will receive a Pennsylvania Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) ACCESS Card which is used to make food purchases at grocery stores and supermarkets.

SNAP Income Limits

SNAP: Nutritional Education


Individuals may be eligible for Cash Assistance if they do not earn enough money to support themselves or their families, or if an individual "cannot work because of a disability." Source: DHS.

General Information and How to Apply for Cash Assistance

Emergency Medical Assistance (EMA)

The Source for the following information on Emergency Medical Assistance (EMA) for Immigrants is created by the Pennsylvania Health Law Project. The Pennsylvania Health Law Project’s Website:

“U.S. born citizens, naturalized citizens, legal permanent residents (LPR), and numerous other ‘qualified’ immigrant statuses are all eligible for full Medical Assistance. Immigrants who are not eligible for full Medical Assistance are eligible for Emergency Medical Assistance.”

“Emergency Medical Assistance is available to immigrants who meet the criteria for medical assistance but who would be denied solely because of immigration status. These include:

  • Immigrants who have been in a “qualified” status for less than 5 yrs;
  • Immigrants who are undocumented;
  • Immigrants who are here on expired visas; and
  • Immigrants who are here on a temporary basis, such as people on student or visitors visas.

Learn More About Emergency Medical Assistance (EMA)

contact us





2141 Oregon Pike
Lancaster, PA 17601